- As of 2012, Arizona has the 2nd largest Native American population, after California.
- Arizona is the number 1 producer of copper in the nation.
- Arizona, along with Indiana, are the only two states that don’t observe Daylight savings time in the U.S.
- London Bridge is located in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. It had spanned the Thames River in London since 1831. In 1967, the bridge was dismantled and shipped stone-by-stone to Lake Havasu City, where it reopened in 1971. It now crosses the Colorado River.
- Tucson is known as the astronomy capital of the world. Kitt Peak National Observatory (55 miles southwest of Tucson) contains the largest collection of optical research telescopes in the world (24 optical and 2 radio telescopes), as well as the largest solar telescope in the world.
- Arizona was the last state in the Continental 48 states to achieve statehood (February 14, 1912).
- Caesar Estrada Chavez, a labor reformer, was born in Yuma.
- With more than a quarter of its area delegated to Native Americans, Arizona boasts the most Indian Reservations (by total area). The Navajo Nation is the largest Native American Nation in the United States. (Parts of it are also located in New Mexico and Utah.)
Quick Facts Panel:
Population (2010): 6,392,017
-Percent Gain from 2000: 24.6%
Total Area: 113,998.3 sq. mi.
-Land: 113,634.6 sq. mi.
-Water: 363.7 sq. mi.
Nickname: Grand Canyon State
Motto: “Ditas Deus” (God Enriches)
Density: 56.3 people per sq. mi. (US density-87.5 people per sq. mi.)
Statehood: February 14, 1912
Major Cities (ranked by population):
Electoral votes: 10
U.S. Representatives: 8
National Parks: Grand Canyon, Petrified National Forest
Highest point: Humphreys Peak, 12,633 ft
Lowest point: Colorado River, 70 ft
Natural Resources: copper, gold, coal, sheep, cattle
State flower: Saguaro Cactus Blossom
2-Wholesale or retail trade 23%
3-federal services 13%
Productions: greenhouse products, hay, milk, potatoes, and livestock (predominantly cattle)
Exports: aircraft components, electrical integrated circuits, copper
Places to Visit-Photo Gallery: